Thursday, June 21, 2012

Holding It In




Argh!! This is stinking killing me.

Monday was the first sputtering. Woke on my only day off until Sunday, after working Father’s Day where I had an employee fucking no-show on me which had me alone in the shop for nearly two hours, the only one there to help customers and answer the phones, doing the, “Oh crap I need to pee” dance until my beloved Randy was reached and ran in to rescue me. So after a long work weekend I was looking forward to a nice relaxing day of nothing, probably in my jammies for the majority of it and likely in varying stages of buzziness. I had a plan. That was until I received a brief, slightly cryptic message that sent my heart racing and mind bouncing off its preverbal walls. The “What ifs?” and “Could this really be happening?” leaving me anything but relaxed. Ended up jumping right into buzzy, nothing like 3 martinis, after a bottle of Rose, to quiet the voices in your head and stop the spinning right? I’m nothing if not a thinker….



Woke Tuesday morning, worse for wear I can assure you, to see another message this one anything but cryptic, it was a confirmation that swept away all the, “What ifs?” and answered the, “Could this really be happening?” with a resounding “Yes, yes it is”. My heart once again thumping around inside my chest and gin soaked brain swimming to the surface. Got me some truly fantastic news Tuesday, was able to tell a handful of people about it, but was then asked to keep it on the down low for a couple weeks. Goddamn it! This is exactly the kind of thing that would have me here, pounding away at my keys and gushing with excitement! I was in fact in front of this damn laptop when the request for silence was made, blog post in the making, shut…or shot down for the time being. 



So now I’m stuck, in this place where I can only think of one thing, this event all I want to talk about but my respecting of wishes keeping me from doing so. Argh!! All I can say is that I’m beyond excited and here it is, only June, and my year has been made. Anything else from this point forward, fucking gravy. 



In an effort to distract myself I’ve been trying to just keep busy. Throwing myself into work and fun while attempting to leave this big thing alone, not over-think it and not wear myself out or spin into a total tizzy. Getting by with a little help from my job and old friends. Last night we were invited to 3 Twenty South, a restaurant/wine bar opened by a former sales rep of ours. They were celebrating their one year anniversary and let me just tell you, spending your evening noshing on truffled French fries, perfectly plump and succulent scallops, dunking crusty hunks of bread into a broth made from ale and mussels, washing it all down with R.H. Coutier Henri III, Francois Chidaine Vouvray Les Buchet before jumping into lamb poutine, (yes, more fries, shut up, they were brilliant) steak with Roquefort butter and Maison Bleue Liberte Syrah…well this goes a very long way in the helping department. The bottle of Bourgogne Rouge and Grand Cru Chablis Randy ordered, after all that other stuff, well that had to have helped kill off a few over-working brain cells as well. Was a lovely meal, in a wonderfully welcoming restaurant, and we were spoiled rotten. Friend or no friend, the place is fantastic. If you find yourself on 3rd and La Brea slip into 3 Twenty South, get you some snacks and you will find a very cool mix of well-known and not so well-known wines being offered by the glass and bottle. Well done Edgar, and thank you for a much needed night out of my head.



Tonight I get to pour, talk about, teach and taste a bunch of 2010 Chablis, Friday night I’ll be popping corks on Agrapart, H. Billiot, Marc Hebrart and my beloved Camille Saves for my Grower Champagne tasting and Saturday night, after working a full shift at the shop, I’m doing a donated Wine & Cheese pairing event that fetched nearly $1,000.00 at a silent auction. So hopefully all of this will keep me from coming out of my skin with anticipation….that or it will kill me. Hoping for the former. So what to do in the few precious moments of downtime? I look at shit like this…

                                      (The Noodle Hair Guard)

                  (Noodle Fan...Blowing Being So Difficult And All)

                           (Big Boy Pants After...)

                                   (The Wine Diaper?) 

And my personal favorite this week

               (Waited My Whole Life For These. Picnic Pants)

So while I still can't spill my news I am being kept busy with work, wine, food, friends and being entertained by the profoundly stupid.

16 comments:

TWG said...

Should we speculate about the big news?

Is it a Pulitzer?

A turn on Dancing with the Stars?

Ron Washam, HMW said...

My Gorgeous Samantha,

Oh, it's OK, you can go ahead and tell everyone. No sense keeping it a secret any longer. You have my permission to tell your many admirers that, yes, it's true, you and I are expecting our first Poodle!!

Can we name him Blinky?

My breasts are swelling already.

By the way, I've got a picnic in my pants for you if that's what you're looking for.

My Love, you need to spend WAY less time on the Internet.

I love you so!

Samantha Dugan said...

TWG,
Hey you! Long time no see, thanks for popping by. I would say the you were warmer with your second guess.

Ron My Love,
You spilled! How could you?! I'll forgive you if you let me eat a turkey sandwich from your picnic pants. Less time on the internet?! Are you insane? I would have never known about the Noddle Fan, Wine Undies or a brilliant, hilarious, talented and loving man had it not been for wasting my time on the internets. I'm staying...

webb said...

You can tell us. we promise not to tell a soul ...

Samantha Dugan said...

webb,
You're too funny. The thing is, I don't even expect any of you to get all giddy or anything. That being said, FREAKING KILLING ME NOT TO SHARE!

Val said...

Well, at least you're keeping busy. Picnic pants? I guess I could wear that with my new wine bra...and really. xo

The Duchess of Paso Robles said...

You were missed on Friday Night. The Boys (Randy and Ronnie) did you proud and we had a great time, but you were missed.

Samantha Dugan said...

Val,
I freaking love those pants. Cannot get over the level of stupidity which cracks me up.

Selyndria,
I heard it went very well and I was so very grateful to have Randy there for me.

Sara Louise said...

At least your secret will now serve as a distraction to me. Instead of being all up in my head of neuroses, I can take some time off and try to figure out what's happening with you :)
And I need that noodle guard, except I'll use it while eating guacamole... that stuff always ends up in my hair!

Samantha Dugan said...

Sara,
I just read your latest post and I am in the same boat right now. I hope everything turns out okay for you sweet lady. Sadly, my Big News is being smothered a bit by profound sadness and the anxiety inducing unknown. Just trying my best to keep my head on straight at this point. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous said...

does this have anything to do with you finally supplanting the Chronic Negress?

-AC

Samantha Dugan said...

Alfonso,
You know as well as I, that would never happen.

Edgar P. said...

I think you just made my day... ... yep, it has officially been made! cheers.

Samantha Dugan said...

Edgar,
Well picnic pants can do that....

Edgar P said...

I don't know what picnic pants are, but I am sure that they could because the thought sounds interesting... but so can some recognition from someone you respect very much. you are awesome. cheers.

Samantha Dugan said...

Edgar,
They are the last picture in this post. But I was teasing of course. I had a wonderful time at your place and I do hope lots and lots of people treat themselves and come to see you!